We've got plenty of jobs over here.
Sr. Director, Design and Architecture
Apply a broad knowledge of architectural principles, practices, and procedures. Perform work assignments of complex architectural projects and development processes. Bring inconsistencies, problems, and suggested solutions to the attention of senior leadership. Work on all types of restaurant development projects, including new store development, remodels, conversions, local and one- off brands, brand licensing partners ( regional, national and global brands), and HMSHost proprietary concept development.
Primary Key Performance Elements
• Lead the overall design process for new and remodeled restaurants from conceptual design through heavy DD’s (30%+)
• Oversee our Bethesda Operation Support Center design/architectural team and external consultants responsible for development of restaurant food service plans, interior design plans, and architectural/MEP construction documents.
• Support our field D&C team with proposal presentations, design issues arising during construction, and value engineering activities as required.
• Collaborate with our external brand partners during both the RFP Design and design development stages to implement brand design requirements within airport/motorway design criteria/requirements.
• Efficiently/Effectively partner with internal stakeholders, such as Estimating and Procurement, Design and Construction field personnel, Restaurant Portfolio, Adult Beverage, Business Development, Executives, Supply Chain and Operations to ensure design & budget parameters are understood.
Essential Functions and Accountabilities or the Role
• Establish strategic plans through detailed analysis of timelines, resources, and schematic design. Apply analysis to proactively identify opportunities and initiatives to strengthen and improve development and design efforts.
• Responsible for negotiating and being accountable for the designers/AOR budgets, timelines and all project accountabilities.
• Oversee the internal team which presents details and drawings to consultants for clarification of schematic designs. Direct the consultants in the production of documents for permitting and construction, checking their work for accuracy and conformity to design standards.
• Review all design submissions prepared by external consultants to ensure design parameter alignment and budget adherence.
• Lead the Dir. of Design through the design criteria and leases with Business Development and Restaurant Development personnel and oversee governmental compliance/submissions and permitting.
• Lead and delegate the assignments to consultants, set up, track and communicate information on projects including feasibility, schedules, cost, and changes.
• Lead due diligence and site survey activities for potential new and remodeled sites. Attend project document input and design reviews conducted by our Landlords and permitting authorities as required for each project.
• Lead in the development and assembly of program requirements and their implementation into new designs.
• Foster an environment of open communication to ensure consistency in development procedures and continuous process improvement.
• Bachelor’s degree in Architectural field required (MBA desirable).
• Architectural Registration required and LEED certification is highly recommended.
• Extensive Design & Architecture experience required with growing responsibilities. (10+ years minimum)
• Restaurant industry experience required (5+ years). Airport experience a plus.
• Architectural Director Role or similar experience (5+ years).
• Project leadership (5+ years).
• Proven success adhering to design development milestones and permitting/approval schedules.
• Personnel Management experience required (5+ years).
• Possess a broad knowledge of architectural principles, practices, and procedures
• Possess and exhibit a thorough and specific technical knowledge of kitchen and bar equipment and all components of a restaurant both back off house and front of house (all FF&E) .
• Working Knowledge of the ADA and Liquor control codes and its application to new and remodeled projects.
• Exhibit superior interpersonal communication skills to interact with clients, brand partners, vendors, and internal team on all levels, on a daily basis.
• Highly organized, multi-tasked oriented, excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Expert knowledge of leadership and negotiation techniques; command of language.
• Strong computer skills (Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, AutoCAD, Adobe, and Photoshop), experience also in the utilization and maintenance of a project management web-based FTP tool.
• Strategic thinking, analytical and organization skills are essential with strong decision making ability.
• Knowledge of architectural and engineering systems.
• Knowledge of kitchen design and equipment for the production of schematic drawings.
• Multi-unit restaurant or commercial development knowledge and experience.
• Project management experience.
• Production of Construction Documents.
• Ability to travel 30% of the time.